Hardwood floor Care and Maintenance
You have a new hardwood floor – now it’s time to learn how to take care of it!
Hardwood care and maintenance.
Congratulations on your new hardwood floor! With the proper care and maintenance, you can keep your hardwood floors looking great for years to come.
Wood Floor Care Tips
- Keep the abrasive dust, dirt, grit and crumbs off your wood floor by sweeping or vacuuming on a regular basis.
- Do not clean your wood floors with oil soap, furniture polish or window cleaner.
- Excessive mopping with water can cause wood to expand, possibly permanently damaging the floor in addition to dulling the finish.
- Other cleaners that have silicone, wax or oil soaps can leave a residue on the finish that will adversely affect the adhesion of a new coat of finish, requiring a complete sanding and finishing of your floors to remove it.
- Cleaners that do not leave any residue allow you to periodically “pad and recoat” your floors, which involves having your hardwood floor-finishing professional deep clean and abrade your floor, then add a new coat of finish, which dramatically conserves time and money and keeps your floors looking like new.